Friday, December 21, 2007

Atheists, Pagans and my version of Christmas

I'm an Atheist. Always have been and always will be. But within that lack of anything specific to blame for things I screw up on my own, there is a deep and undying respect for Nature. This is not something as small as spirituality. It is a totality of connection with everything that we are, and that includes the wind, the fire, the earth, the water and our common breath that inhales and exhales each other.

I choose to honor the longest day of the year because we all need a place to start to say it's now a new year and therefore my life must make some adjustments to honor the natural path of change. Each year on this day I look at what I want from the coming year and plant virtual seeds for each wish so I have something to feed and water and look forward to blossoming in the coming year.

I also plant a wish for the world in general and humanity in specific. For this year's wish I will leave you with the words of one of my early heroes, Kurt Vonnegut: "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: